An englishman in Paris

jeudi, juin 01, 2006

I am completely mad about ...

Music (part II)

So, y'know, beano comics, bits of broken soldiers crushed into the floor, old socks, smelly underduds scattered all over the place and this huge poster taking up clearly 1/3 of a wall ....

In the midst of all of this, quite unexpectedly; my mother died.

I was twelve.

It was at the start of the summer holidays and word sort of spread that, you know: so 'n' so's lost his ma ....

My friends didn't know how to react. i didn't either - i was only a kid - it was a taboo subject ...

At that age, kids don't have the where-withall to deal with it ... that summer was quite difficult - my friends (except for Steve and Daryl) were reluctant to come around or go out and play football.

The truth be told; i didn't really want to either - i just wanted to look at Debbie Harry .. she must have been at least ooooooooh 60 yrs old i was thinking, but good for her age !.

One day i heard David Bowie singing Ashes to ashes ... how maudlin you may think.

But i didn't make any connection between the song and my situation - i really loved the video; the dramatics, the doom and gloom etc.

So i went out and bought it.

Then i bought 'Start' by the Jam.

Then i bought ......................

And ...

And ...

.......... and so on

Since then, music has been, in a strange kind of way, my religion - my crutch in times of need.

Since i've figured out how to get stuff in video form of songs that have a certain resonance then ... hell, i'm gonna go right ahead and post 'em :o)

1 Comments:

Blogger Damiel said...

I do have some exceptions though : 'Achy breaky heart' will never ever figure on my top 10 000 list.

Strangely enough, i'm also not a big Beatles fan ...

8:45 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home

The current mood of damiel at www.imood.com
damiel0000@yahoo.fr

Site Counter